February 11, 2016
More than 200 credit unions participating in the CO-OP Miracle Match program during 2015 netted $4.3 million for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, a 39 percent increase compared to the previous record set in 2014.
The credit unions gathered $3.3 million in their 2015 Credit Unions for Kids fundraisers. To this total is added $1 million in matching funds through CO-OP Miracle Match, an amount CO-OP Financial Services donates annually on behalf of its client credit unions. In 2014, credit unions and CO-OP Miracle Match combined to raise $3.1 million.
“The sharp rise in fundraising totals is testimony once again to the vitality of the credit union industry’s commitment to people helping people, and to its charity of choice, CMN Hospitals,” said Stan Hollen, President/CEO of CO-OP. “It is particularly gratifying to note that nearly half of the fundraisers we matched in 2015 were new events – fundraisers that credit unions launched in their communities for the first time.”
The goal of CO-OP Miracle Match is to encourage credit unions, chapters and leagues to sponsor their own local fundraising events to support CMN Hospitals serving their area. Key facts and figures from the 2015 matching program include:
- $4.3 million raised ($3.3 million by credit unions, $1 million via CO-OP Miracle Match);
- 227 fundraising events matched;
- 105 “new event” fundraisers, 46 percent of the grand total of events matched;
- More than 200 credit unions participated;
- 98 CMN Hospitals in 39 states benefited;
Top individual fundraisers in 2015 included (all totals include CO-OP Miracle Match):
- A golf tournament. First Tech FCU, Mountain View, California, raised $760,000.
- A Roaring 20s Gala. Northwest CUA, Tigard, Oregon, raised $238,738.
- SacTown Ten-Mile Run hosted by California and Nevada Credit Union Leagues. Diablo Valley FCU, Concord, California, raised $168,121.
- A fundraising walk. Orange County CU, Santa Ana, California, raised $139,495.
- A motorcycle ride/poker run/concert. Fibre Federal CU, Longview, Washington, raised $106,222.
“The CO-OP Miracle Match program has enabled us to raise new, incremental dollars, and has made a significant impact on the 10 million kids treated at CMN Hospitals every year,” said Joe Dearborn, Senior Director, Credit Unions for Kids. “CO-OP and their generous clients have been a major reason why our industry continues to be one of the leading contributors to this important charity.”
In addition to CO-OP Miracle Match, an even $100,000 was raised for CMN Hospitals during CO-OP’s THINK 15 conference held in Colorado Springs last May. CO-OP is also planning to coordinate fundraising activities during the upcoming THINK 16 conference, taking place at the historic Hotel Del Coronado, in the San Diego, California area, May 3-6, 2016. Registration is $799 for credit union employees, who may register immediately at http://co-opthink.org.
Credit unions interested in applying for matching grants in 2016 under the Miracle Match by CO-OP program may do so by visiting www.co-opfs.org/miracle-match.